Interstate Removal Packing Checklist
Furniture Removals of Tasmania know how busy life can get when you’re packing to move. Use this handy packing checklist to prepare for your interstate removal. Our list has the basics covered and will give you a great start to prepare for your move.
Don’t forget, if you don’t want to pack – we can do it for you with our specialist packing and unpacking services.
Get A Quote
Talk To Someone
Plan your Move:
- Consider how you are going to pack, what you need to take, when you will move and what equipment you need (boxes, tape etc).
- Find and book an interstate removal company that you can trust.
- Make sure you have arranged insurance for the new property and the moving process.
- Talk to your removal company about what furniture needs to be dismantled. Where possible, begin dismantling furniture that you are not using regularly. Start doing this a couple of weeks before the move.
- Go through storage areas such as the shed, garage, garden, roof space or under the house and work out what needs to be packed, thrown away, donated or sold.
- Start reducing the amount of food in your pantry and freezer so that there is less to pack and take with you.
- Make sure you’ve arranged time off work, care for pets and made arrangements to have children looked after while you’re busy on the final packing and moving days.
- Collect spare keys from your current home (don’t forget those that friends or parents may have).
- Discard any chemicals, paint, fuel or flammable items according to container instructions. Gas cylinders should not be transported. You can take cylinders to an LPG swap station to dispose.
- Make arrangements to connect power, internet, water and gas at your new home.
- Redirect mail and make sure any outstanding deliveries are directed to your new address.
- Create an inventory list so that you know what is packed into which box for easy access after moving.
- Disconnect services from your current home on moving day or the day after.
- Make sure you’ve walked around the property and checked for everything you will be taking.
- Defrost the freezer and empty the fridge a day before moving so that you can wipe and clean everything down the day of moving.
On moving day:
- Remember that it will all come together! Try to relax with the knowledge that you have prepared well and are nearly on your way.
- When the movers arrive, walk around with them to show what is getting moved, what things are staying and which items are important, need to be prioritised when unpacking at your new home.
- Lock all windows, doors and outbuildings like sheds.
- Empty rubbish bins and make sure that bins are put out for collection or emptied completely (perhaps ask your neighbours to take them back in for you).
- Double check that nothing has been left behind.
- Enjoy the journey to your new home!
Furniture Removals of Tasmania move Australians to and from Tasmania. Whether you are escaping to the Apple Isle or moving to the ‘big island’ we’ll be here to help you on your way. Contact us or get a free quote today!
Request a quote
Please contact us to request a comprehensive quote for your removal.